Here is more detailed information about the opportunities to Engage God this winter…
* Sunday Worship: From Jan 5 to Feb 14 (six Sundays) I will attend worship at least four Sundays. At RFUMC you have two choices – the more informal Flipside worship in the Fellowship Hall at 8:58 AM or the 10:30 AM Sanctuary service. If you’re a snowbird or out of town, you can still attend worship at a church wherever you are!
* Private Devotions: From Jan 5 to Feb 14, I will keep private devotions or family devotions at least ____ times a week. You know your patterns and schedule for these six weeks. You name the number of times a week you will have personal/family devotions. Try to make it at least three. And if you need assistance choosing devotional material, contact the church office.
* Faith Building Studies: There are four options for studies that are designed to deepen your faith.
The cost for the book is $10. (The actual time of the class on Sunday
afternoons is negotiable if 5 PM is inconvenient for a lot of folks).
* Other: Perhaps you have a spiritual practice for engaging God that you want to try or continue from Jan 5 through Feb 14, but it is not listed above. Tell us what it is and mark it as a commitment for the season!
ENGAGING GOD LEADERSHIP CHALLENGES
Think you might be ready to step it up? Here are some leadership challenges for you to consider…
1. Invite an Unchurched Friend to Worship: Many people come to church for the first time because someone they know and respect has invited them to join him or her for worship. Are you willing to go out on a limb and invite an unchurched acquaintance to worship sometime between Jan 5 and Feb 14th? Why not offer to pick them up as well!
2. One Sunday as a Sound Board Operator: Every week at both worship services there is someone sitting in the back pushing buttons and moving levers to control the sound system in the room. Although the new digital equipment may look intimidating, it’s easier than you may think and training is provided to anyone who would like to give it a try on a Sunday morning during worship. You may actually discover that it is fun and will want to do it more in the future!
3. One Sunday as a Projector Operator: How did we ever worship without PowerPoint slides? A team of people puts a lot of work into getting those presentations ready each week, but without someone there to work the projector, they are pretty useless! Everything is set up before the Flipside or Sanctuary service begins. We just need an operator to check for errors in the presentation before the service starts and advance the slides during worship according to the layout and script. Training is provided to any volunteer who wants to try it between Jan 5 and Feb 14.
4. Host a Group in Your Home During Lent: The next ENGAGING FAITH season is during Lent (March 5 – April 20) and the whole church will be focused on Pastor Adam Hamilton’s “The Way: Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus. Along with our Sunday worship services, the plan is to have small groups of 6-8 meet once a week in host homes. Hosts will not necessarily be the leader of the group, but will provide hospitality to their small group. This Lenten program will take a lot of preparation so we’re getting an early start. Will you accept the challenge of hosting a weekly small group in your home during Lent? (More details will be forthcoming).