1. "We take a vacation, but a vocation takes us!" This is a quote from 13 year old Andrew that reminds us that our "vocation" or calling is from God and it chooses us, we don't choose it.
2. Fulfilling our God-given calling can be challenging, usually because we don't see the immediate results of our faithfulness. As it was with Isaiah, it can feel like we are "laboring in vain," and "spending our strength for nothing and vanity."
3. But, to borrow a quote from Mother Teresa, "God did not call me to be successful. God called me to be faithful." This is God's work, not ours. We plant, water, weed and cultivate, but God gives the growth. Along with Isaiah, we affirm "My cause is with the Lord and my reward with my God!"
Don't hang up, hang on!
Chat ideas -
1. What's your experience of being chosen by your vocation rather than the other way around?
2. We live in a era of instant gratification. Have you ever become frustrated with your calling from God because you weren't seeing the results you've been expecting? How do you handle it?
3. Are there ways of measuring effective discipleship for individuals or churches? How do we know we're doing what God wants us to? How can we know that our faithfulness to our vocation is really making a difference?